Boston Eye

Friday, April 18, 2008

Who was Archie?

Obviously Archie was her son, who died six months earlier at age 60. Maggie must have been in her 80s, poor dear, and her grief at outliving her son was poignant and fresh. In another letter later that August to "My Dear Gladys" she wrote, "I have had a long hot, and very sad summer. I miss my precious Archie more, not less, as time passes, tho I try hard to be reconciled. Just can't have enthusiasm for anything anymore."

But who was Archie to me? Who was Maggie to me? Gladys was Great Aunt Gladys, sister to Pop Thames. Daddy referred to her as Aunt Happy-Tail, much to the delight of us children and the irritation of Mamoo. The letters to Gladys were in an envelop addressed to John and Sylvia Thames from Mel Ingram, son of Aunt Gladys.

I searched the Rembert book for a Margaret Clark and found one. But this was a daughter of William Clark, the ancester who fought for the Confederacy, which would explain her "Real Daughters" activity. But she was writing in 1967. How could a daughter of the Confederacy still be alive in 1967? The Rembert book didn't carry forward to list the offspring so that I could confirm the Margaret Clark was Maggie by seeing a son named Archie.

5 Comments:

  • Very interesting.....I can answer all or anymore of your questions you have. Mel Ingram is my father...Gladys is my grandmother ... Inez was my GreatGrandmother and William Clark was mt GG Grandfather. Maggie was the daughter of William Clark and Margaret Ann Stukes, both of SC. From what you explain I figure you must be Preston's grandaughter.
    Archie was Archibald Wilson ... Maggie's son. Maggie married and had 2 sons and I believe a daughter. Maggie married a man named Wilson..I have his first name here in my documents and I have several letters written by Maggie to Gladys. I have the original letter you are referring to...so my dad for whatever reason gave John and Sylvia my grandmothers personal letters...maybe after she died. Anyway, I remember my grandmother's upset when Maggie died. Maggie to you was your GG Aunt and Archie was your G Uncle..I think thats how it goes...Maggie was at one time the president of the DAR in WestPalm Beach, FL. I have her pictures and more information if you should be interested. I would love to hear from you. Darlene

    By Blogger darlene, at 6:11 PM  

  • Darlene I can't figure out how to answer you. If you see this please email me.

    By Blogger Miss Grimke, at 11:00 AM  

  • ok...i am trying to figure out how to use this...i cannot find your email address to contact you

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:40 PM  

  • my email address is: dalban7628@yahoo.com for you to contact me

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:51 PM  

  • Miss Grinke...are you still there...I would love to talk with you

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home