Boston Eye

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Who is Maggie?

"August 5, 1967
W. Palm Beach

"My Dear Gladys: If he were living my precious Archie would be 61 today. The first time in 60 years I can’t say 'Happy Birthday Son.' It hurts just as much now as when he left us six months ago—I must do something to pass the time.
"Last fall, while I was madly working to finish the UDC 'Real Daughter’s' record which I had been working on for six years, the newspapers here heard about it, and that a special place (a handsome case) was being prepared to house them for safe keeping in our Headquarters Building and museum in Richmond, so they sent a reporter and photographer over to get a picture of me and the books.(I sent you one, didn’t I?) Just before that I had a letter from Chovine and Lola Clark. They were interested in researching into the Clark Ancestry and wanted anything I had that might help."

--photocopied letter that goes on for several pages about people I don't know and ends with several pages of begats, including the Clarks that also appear in the Remberts of South Carolina book published by Allsobrooks McCall and Sallie Rembert. Letter is signed "Maggie." Who is Maggie, who is Archie? Who the heck is Chovine?

2 Comments:

  • Gladys is my grandmother. Her name was Gladys Thames. She is the daughter of Inez Clark Thames, grandaughter of MaryAnn Stukes and William James Clark. Maggie is her Aunt. The sister of Inez. Her real name was Margaret. She was the president of the DAR. I have pictures. She was born in SC, married and moved to West Palm Beach, FL. Archie was Maggie's son. I have this letter that Maggie wrote to my grandmother(Gladys) Chovine Clark was Glady's Uncle and Lola was his wife.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 AM  

  • Hello Darlene, I hope to connect with you. I'd love to learn more and compare notes. cindy.thames@gmail.com

    By Blogger Miss Grimke, at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home